Republiki Chorwacji
w Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej
Headline NEWS


In Croatia, there are 3 types of residence titles in Croatia for people coming to Croatia and wanting to take employment:
• Visa (Schengen visa or national visa)
• Residence permit (temporary stay)
• Settlement permit (permanent stay)

There are also 2 types of work permits:
• Stay and work permit
• Work registration certificate

The Labour Act in Croatia governs the following issues:

• labour relations – a legal basis is established through a work contract, the form and content of the contract are defined by the Act;
• working hours – 40 hours per week; vacations and other leave – at least 4 weeks of vacation;
• forms of protection in case of maternity leave; forms of protection in case of temporary or permanent worker disability;
• wages – the employer cannot pay less than defined by a collective agreement, forms of protection of employees in case of bankruptcy are defined, etc.;
• termination of the work contract – the procedure for termination, reasons for a regular and irregular notice of dismissal, procedure in case of redundancy;
• employee council – employees’ rights to participate in the decision-making process concerning their economic and social rights and interests through representatives on the employee council.

The labour relations, rights and obligations of the employers and employees, can also be determined by a collective agreement contracted between one or more employers or an association of employers on the one part, and one or more labour unions on the other part. These agreements can also contain regulations for employment, the procedure for the termination of labour relations etc.

Working Hours and Holidays
According to the Labour Act maximum workweek is 40 hours. For any work of 6 or more hours daily, a break of at least 30 minutes is obligatory and must be included in the working time.

The workweek may not exceed 6 days. However, a number of days of the workweek is not determined by law, i.e. it is not specified whether there must be five or six days.

Maximum daily work time may not exceed 12 hours for all working activities, except seasonal activities which permit a maximum of 14 hours a day.

Employees are eligible to a paid annual leave of at least 4 weeks in a calendar year. Longer annual leave may be determined by a collective agreement, work regulation or by a work contract. Public holidays are not included in the duration of the annual leave.

Work of foreigners in Croatia
Foreigners are not allowed to work in Croatia unless a termporary stay permit is issued to them, unless some special conditions of a relevant law are fulfilled.

In Croatia, there is a work permit system by which a number of permits is decided. Each year, the Government sets the number of both new and continued work permits for foreigners. Further, a number of seasonal work permissions for each type of work and for each sector of the national economy is set. No territorial limits of the work permits do exist. A decision called “poslovna dozvola” (permit for execution of duty acts) is neither a stay and work permit nor is equal to it; the decision means a permission to execute specified professional acts in the Republic of Croatia.

However, Chapter X of the Foreigners Act (Narodne novine, 130/11 and 74/13) was introduced and has been in force since 1st July 2013. According to its provisions, citizens of the Republic of Poland and members of their families are allowed to stay and work in Croatia for 90 days with no necessity to get a stay and work permit.

l Citizens of Poland who wish to live and work in Croatia longer then three months, must – wihin the period of 8 days after their three-month stay in Croatia – report their temporary stay in the country at a local police station in the area where they live and must declare the reason (Art. 157 of the Foreigners Act), for example:
- employment or self-employment
- work in the capacity of a delegated employee
- study at a University or other high-education institution
- learn at a secondary education school
- perform scientific research
- conduct humanitarian activity

A receipt of the temporary stay notification shall be issued if the applicant has got:
- valid identity document or passport
- certificate of employment or self-employment (or other-purpose certificate)
- funds for living (not less than KUNA 2000 per month)
- valid medical insurance

Citizens of Poland, if working in the Republic of Croatia, should first conclude an employment contract, a contract for performing a specified task of work, should have a work delegation document or be self-employed. Otherwise, there might be a pre-sumption of being paid for work with no previous registration at a relevant tax office and without paying obligatory taxes and social/medical insurance premiums. Such a work is punishable. According to Croatian laws, both who performs non-registered work and who ordered it or shall get any advantage of the work, shall be punished.

Croatia the best country for your business !! The unusual climate for your business !!
You have to try to do your business here !!!